As young parents, you hear the term "physiological babywearing" everywhere. Love Radius has been talking about it for over 15 years now (how ahead of its time!). Stay with us to find out exactly what it means.
Physiological babywearing, what does it mean?
Babywearing is the act of carrying your baby against you whether it's directly in your arms or with the help of a babywearing device in a natural way. Physiological babywearing is the one that respects baby's physiology quite simply. So what does that mean? It means that it respects the natural mechanical functioning of baby's body by following its morphological evolution.
Babywearing can start as soon as birth and precisely make the transition between the uterine world and the outside world. When properly mastered, babywearing promotes baby's development and brings many advantages and benefits for baby and you, his parents.
Characteristics of a physiological position
To verify that babywearing is physiological, here are some criteria to validate.
For an infant: it imitates the position of a hand carry or in utero (curled up position in flexion). This position supports his psychomotor development.
- The head is in line with the spine
- The hands are gathered and flexed near the face
- The seat is deep. The baby sling covers not only the buttocks but also the thighs and goes up to the hollow of the knee. The pelvis is tilted, the knees are higher than the buttocks, a bit like a frog
- The back is rounded
- Baby sits on his buttocks not on his feet
- The hip/knee/ankle axis is respected (the ankles must follow the movement, the opening of the thighs, no duck foot)
Concerning the position of the knees:
Before 3 months: the knees are at the width of the pelvis
After 3-4 months: if baby can turn his head on his own and, when he is put on his back, lifts his feet off the ground with his abdominal muscles. This gives him a bigger gap between the 2 knees. With this momentum, he swings with his body weight. The knees can now embrace the carrier.
What to use to carry baby physiologically?
There are various carrying systems to make your daily life easier. We can present :
The most physiological way to carry your child from birth. Very pleasant from the maternity ward, to make the skin to skin. There are several types:
- Stretchy wraps, which offer a very enveloping side for your baby in a very soft fabric. Stretchy to be adjusted more easily by making the knot beforehand
- The ring-sling, which can be adjusted without knots thanks to rings. Ultra simple to use!
- Woven wraps with non-stretchable fabric to offer the best support to the baby. The knot cannot be made beforehand.
|DISCOVER THE LOVE RADIUS WRAPS|
Ergonomic baby carriers
The easiest way to use because the adjustment is done with straps and a belt. You just have to slip the baby in!
Be careful, not all baby carriers are made to carry a baby from birth. It is generally necessary to add a booster seat and a headrest to adjust the position of a baby as small as a newborn.
A simple way to check that the product is physiological / ergonomic is to see if it is certified by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI).
|DISCOVER THE LOVE RADIUS BABY CARRIERS|
We can also accompany you in this experience during training workshops (in visio or face-to-face) with trained babywearing instructors.
To go further: